cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
A soft, light and utterly gorgeous cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 orange
- 320 g carrots grated
- 200 g raisins
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 350 g self raising flour
- 200 g sugar
- Zest and juice the orange. Warm the orange juice in a saucepan and add the raisins to soak in it to plump up. Allow to cool.
- keep the orange carcasses to use in making marmalade once you have made all the carrot cakes for the month
- Warm oven to gas mark 4.
- Blitz all other ingredients together in food processor or mix together in large bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Pour into 2 cake tins, papered or greased. Or use silicone ones if you have them.
- Bake for 45 mins or until dark golden brown and springy in the centre to your touch.
- Click here to start a 45 minute timer
- Cut into 32 squares.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.