cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- small sharp knife
- chopping board
- mixing spoon
- frying pan
- large rectangular baking dish
- 25 g lard
- 25 g flour
- pint water or use a stock cube
- 60 g cheddar
- 15 g Grana Padano
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 50 g bacon
- 400 g pasta
- First, put your pasta on to boil, and cook as per packet instructions
- Make a roux with the lard and flour. Add the hot stock in about 4 goes.
- Between each addition of stock stir the mixture until all the liquid incorporates into the flour and lard. (If you lift the pan off the heat and beat hard with a wooden spoon after the liquid is incorporated your sauce will be beautifully glossy).
- By the time all the liquid is added you should have a sauce which will coat the back of a spoon. If not add more water or stock.
- Stir in the mustard and most of the cheese. Leave a spoonful of cheese for the top.
- Fry finely chopped bacon. Add cooked bacon to the sauce and season sauce with pepper and salt. Stir sauce into cooked pasta.
- Put saucy pasta in baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Cook in oven at 180 degrees until there are nice brown crunchy bits on the top.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.