cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Cream of Mushroom Soup
I have made this with both fresh and frozen mushrooms and either option works really well
- 400 g mushrooms
- 50 ml oil
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 slices homemade bread with the crusts removed (save these for croutons) - weight approximately 160g
- 850 ml stock made with 1 stock cube
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 70 ml single cream
- 50 ml whipping cream
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse the mushrooms, wipe and trim the ends of the stalks, then cut into small pieces.
- Put the oil in a heavy saucepan, put in the mushrooms and let them soften.
- Soak the bread in a little of the stock.
- When the juice begins to run from the mushrooms, add 1 clove of the the garlic, crushed, salt, pepper, mixed spice and stew for a few minutes more.
- Squeeze out the bread and add to the mushrooms.
- Stir until the bread is amalgamated, then add the stock. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Click here to start a 15 minute timer
- Liquidise the soup, which will end up the consistency of thin cream, with little grainy particles of mushroom suspended in it. Return to the saucepan, add the cream and check the seasoning
- To make your croutons, cut the crusts into 1cm cubes and fry with a crushed clove of garlic until golden brown.
- Serve half of the recipe for 4 people at christmas lunch if following our Christmas planner, reserving approximately half for the pork in tortilla wraps meal. Refrigerate the leftovers until then. If not following the planner, the soup freezes very well, or just have it 2 days running
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.